Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Works in Progress - Christmas Quilts

So what's new here at Bluecreek Creations?  Well, I thought today that I would show you the newest project that I am working on.

Yes, its more cross stitch, and its a series that I am really excited about... cross stitch quilts!

I can already picture the double-takes being given.  Yes, you read that correctly. This project is a series of cross stitched mini quilts that can be used in several ways.

First, each pattern can be stitched up individually and framed. This allows for a nice pop of cozy comfort without taking up valued closet space.

Second, you can pick and choose your favorite patterns and stitch them together in a sampler format.

Third, (and my personal favorite), as these patterns measure no greater than 50 stitches x 50 stitches, the individual quilts can be stitched, fused to fabric and turned into homespun-style Christmas ornaments. 

What does 50 stitches square come to? Well, on a 14-count cloth (which is what I typically use for the mini quilts) your finished project will be approximately 3.5" square, which is perfect for the holidays. Small enough to be darling, yet not so large it takes over the entire tree.

I stitched up sets of 5 mini quilt ornaments for family and friends over a decade ago, and loved the look, so I decided to dust the idea off and to have the joy of creating two sets of quilts, both in a variety of colors, rather than the simple 3-color palette I used in the past.

So lets sneak a peek over my shoulder to what is currently being tweaked on my computer, shall we?

The first set will be basic patterns, with one-note palettes... by which I mean one shade of orange, teal, green, red or blue, and no shading or tones.  This type of palette means you will not have to buy a lot of skeins when getting ready to stitch.

This set will be tied together with the use of white as a main component in the pattern.




The second set will be detailed with patterns, color variations, shading and toning. Yes, this means you will be purchasing more skeins of floss, but it also means you will be left with a far richer look that will mimic the quilts that you love to see at your local fairs and quilting shows. These patterns will not be limited to just white as contrast, and many of these will not feature white at all.



Boy this one sure looks pretty, and I look forward to the test stitching of this set.

Its funny, but with tall of the many quilt sets I stitched up all those years ago, I never saved a set for myself, figuring I could always make another set "later".  Well, it looks like I will finally be making a set of these for my own use!

Oh, and in honor of those long-ago Christmas present stitches, I am calling this collection Christmas Quilts. Sure, the patterns can really be used for any time, reason or season, but these have always held the love, joy, warmth and feel of Christmas to me... and quilts really are so snuggly and warm during the holidays, aren't they?

So what projects are you working on? I hope they are bringing you as much joy as I am having while playing with all of these fun little patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment